Hello!

Krumbs began as a business project by two friends - one with a great passion for food, writing and creative designs; the other, an artistic soul with inspiring talent in the world of digital animation and stage performances.

Krumbs kick-started when we went mad for cookies and sweet treats. All we could ever think about was to live and indulge in the land of delectable goodies - where blades of grass were sweet tasting candies; tree barks were made of rich, buttery shortbreads; pebbles and stones that were in fact chocolate cheese truffles; and the best of all, rivers filled with molten chocolate (slurps!). To that, we spent months perfecting lip-smacking sweet delights, and shared it with the world.

Join us on this blog to satisfy sweet and savoury cravings as the cook and the baker continues with her endeavour in mastering the many types of cuisines and yummy desserts available out there. With every bit of discovery in the kitchen, you'll be treated to a delicious read!

And oh, did we mention - it's a business project? So if ever you get hungry, just drop us an email and we'll work something out and provide you with the best tummy therapy you can get! :)

Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Celebrating a Brand New Idea!

Needless to say, the local favourite of stir-fry beans are in the limelight. My version of it uses assam pedas paste and a generous amount of dried shrimp. Combine both in a well heated wok and a pair of strong arms; you'll get a scrumptious dish! yummm! To compliment these beans, I made a simple well marinated dish of stir fry minced pork. Served with a bowl of hot steamy rice. It screams nothing but the 'perfect' food! Yummm!





Last week, I made a promise with a brand new idea. For an entire working week of five days, I will cook for 8 people. And not just anybody, but actual paying clients!

The emotional ride was crazy. I spent a whole weekend mulling over the ‘perfect’ menu combo. It has got to have an ‘edge’ – a lip-smacking one indeed. And I thought, I need to be different. I need to stand out. Can I feed them all my favourite food? But if I feed them all my favourite in one week, what’s left for the next? Should I go out of my way and do something out of the ordinary? Or should I stick to the local favourites? What if what I love doesn’t quite suit their taste buds?

For two full nights, I tossed and turned in my bed as my mind raced through flavours after flavours. I thought about ingredients that would go well together. I thought about food that would still hold its finest flavour despite having it stored in a container, and cooled to room temperature. What about presentation? Could I pull it off?

The questions never ended. Not even till the middle of the week, when I was already serving my offices lunches for two days. I discovered so many things that slipped my mind earlier on. I learned so much from the experience. Cost control, portioning, packaging, food presentation, food photography and so much more.

It was crazy tiring as I juggled between making sure the food tasted good, packing them into containers, rushing through my shower and delivering the lunches – making sure that it arrives by 12.30pm daily. But, at the end of the day, it was worth it. :) The rush, the excitement was a whole lot of fun!

But alas, that is was only from a culinary perspective. I believe I do have so much more to work on in terms of the business structure. Sigh. But I guess, I knew from the start that it was a trial, and the sole purpose of the trial was to learn more. I'm glad I did. :) So please do excuse me while I get some beauty sleep, before starting on reworking the 'business plan.' Haha. Man, I feel so grown up just by saying that! :P And oh, one final yummy image! :D

Damn yummy right? :P Stay tune for more! :)

No comments: